Chef Stuart O’Keeffe’s Last Minute St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
April 2nd 2018
QUICK BEEF STEW
3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
2 pounds boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 medium onion, roughly sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 cups button mushrooms, halved
3/4 cup dry red wine, such as a cabernet
One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained
One 28-ounce can diced San Marzano tomatoes
1 tablespoon chives, chopped
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a skillet or Dutch oven over high heat. Season meat with salt and pepper and brown on all sides in small batches. This will take roughly 15 minutes total. Remove meat and set aside.
2. Reduce heat to medium, add onion and garlic, and stir for 3 minutes to soften. Add carrots and cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes.
4. Turn the heat up to high, add the wine, and scrape any bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 4 minutes.
5. Add the beans, tomatoes, beef and beef juices and let simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
EMERALD ISLE ROLLS
2 cups chopped corned beef
1 cup shredded cabbage, sauteeed
2 cups mashed potatoes
1 cup shredded carrot
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
12 (7 inch square) egg roll wrappers
2 Vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Heat oil in a large heavy pot until it reached 375- 400 (use a thermometer)
2. In a bowl, mix together the shredded corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrot, green onion and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Lay the egg roll wrappers out on a clean dry surface. Place roughly 1/2 cup of the mixture into the center of each wrap Roll up like a burrito and wet the edge with water to seal.
4. Fry rolls a few at a time, turning if necessary, for about 4-5 minutes, or until golden.
5. Drain on a paper towel and serve.