Gumbo Bros Monday Red Beans Recipe
November 6th 2017
Monday Red Beans
• 2 Tablespoons Bacon grease (sub with canola oil if needed)
• 1/2 lb Cajun Tasso, roughly chopped (sub with other heavily smoked ham if needed)
• 1 lb andouille sausage, cut in half moons
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 3 stalks celery, chopped
• 1 bell pepper, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
• 1/2 teaspoon sage
• 3 bay leaves
• 10 cups chicken stock or water
• 1 lb red beans – soaked overnight and drained
• Salt & Pepper to taste
• Steamed white rice
• Green Onions
• Hot Sauce
1. Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of bacon grease until it melts down.
2. Add the chopped tasso and andouille and brown the meats for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add chopped onions, celery and bell pepper to the pot and cook until the onions become
translucent, about 4 minutes.
4. Add minced garlic, thyme, cajun seasoning, cayenne, sage, bay leaves, salt and pepper
and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the soaked and drained red beans and fill the pot with chicken stock to just about an
inch over the mixture.
6. Simmer 2-3 hours until the red beans thicken the dish and begin to mush up a bit. When
the red beans are cooked through, you should be able to mash some up against the side of the pot easily with a wooden spoon. Stir occasionally and add chicken stock or water as needed to prevent it from drying out… It should have a thickened consistency but not be too soupy.
7. Salt/pepper to taste. Feel free to throw in extra cayenne if you want more heat!
8. Serve with steamed white rice and garnish with thinly sliced green onion and hot sauce.