Nonna Maria’s Zucchini Parmesan Recipe
September 12th 2017
Maria’s Zucchini Parmesan
8 medium sized zucchini (about 2 pounds)
1 cup flour
1 cup olive oil for frying
1 1/2 pounds mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 large can crushed tomatoes (28 oz.)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
To make sauce:
Heat oil in a medium sauce pan, add garlic and chopped onion,and sauté until golden brown. Add tomatoes and stir. Simmer for a 1/2 hour. Season with salt to taste and add basil.
– Scrub and trim zucchini. Slice lengthwise into 1/4″ slices.
– Make egg mixture- beat eggs, season with salt, pepper and about 1/4 cup grated cheese. Mix well.
– Pour flour into shallow baking dish.- Dredge zucchini in flour on both sides and shake off excess flour.
– Dip floured zucchini into egg mixture and coat on both sides.
– Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Fry zucchini in batches until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
– Heat oven to 350 degrees.
In rectangular baking dish, spread a layer of marinara sauce to cover bottom. Add layer of zucchini side by side, sprinkle with grated cheese and layer of mozzarella. Repeat, starting with sauce and ending with zucchini.
– Sprinkle last layer with grated cheese, mozzarella and a little extra sauce on top.
– Bake for 20-30 minutes or until sauce bubbles around.the edges.
Let sit for about 15 minutes to set. Cut into squares. Serve. Enjoy!